Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What I Learned Today - Hello World in Silverlight

I have decided that I need to learn something new everyday in order to continue to progress as a developer and as a person. I will begin blogging about the new things that I am learning on a daily basis to track my progression and to act as a learning journal of sorts.

What I Learned Today: How to write a Hello World app for Silverlight.

I decided that I wanted to at least get a cursory introduction to Microsoft Silverlight Development, so I have started going through ScottGu's multipart Silverlight tutorial (which can be found here).

Overall Silverlight allows me to develop in the C# programming language using Visual Studio 2008 (which is a pretty slick development environment), so I was able to jump in with both feet and really start digging around. So far I have a Silverlight app with a button and a textblock and when I click on the button the textblock says "Hello World!". It's a first (lame) step, and I don't really know what I want to build as my first real project, so we'll see where it leads.

Well, there's my first What I Learned Today post. I have to say it feels good.

No comments: